Student dies after eating microwave-heated pasta leftovers - SANTE PLUS MAG

Student dies after eating leftovers of pasta reheated in the microwave

Eating non-refrigerated leftover food can be life-threatening. Fox News highlights a case of fatal intoxication of a young Belgian student after eating spaghetti with tomato sauce. This unfortunate case can often occur if hygiene and food refrigeration are not respected.

Explanation of the fatal case of the young student

The student identified as "AJ" warmed a pasta dish with tomato sauce. This dish was prepared five days in advance and was not refrigerated.

After finishing eating, the young man went about his daily routine but thirty minutes later he felt headaches, abdominal pain as well as nausea. Subsequently, during the night, he experienced intense vomiting and diarrhea. However, the young man did not consult a doctor, probably thinking that it was an uncomfortable discomfort. But the next morning, he was found dead in his room at 11 in the morning.

The autopsy performed on his body revealed necrosis of the liver, which means that his liver stopped functioning, and signs of acute pancreatitis were visible. In addition, fecal examination revealed a large amount of a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. It acts as a poison and occurs when there has been consumption of food held at room temperature for several hours without refrigeration.

As a result, it was concluded that the pasta meal he had eaten was the cause of his death. The case of this young man was reported in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, published in NCBI, where it was notified that the bacterium B. cereus was the cause of the young man's death in good health.

What is Bacillus cereus bacteria?

According to FDA, the bacteria B. cereus is a bacterium found in principle in soil, vegetables or processed foods. When cooked foods are kept refrigerated for long hours and then consumed, it is possible to contract this bacteria. Foods most affected by B. cereus are among others, meat, cooked vegetables, boiled or fried rice, vanilla sauce, custard and soups.

Bacillus cereus can cause two kinds of diseases:

The first is between half an hour and six hours after eating contaminated food. The symptoms are mainly nausea and vomiting, which may be followed by diarrhea. These manifestations disappear after 24 hours.

The second disease is characterized by diarrhea and stomach cramps between six and fifteen hours after being contaminated. The symptoms appear when the toxins touch the small intestine.

Moreover, according to the American Society for Microbiology, hepatic insufficiency is one of the most serious complications caused by the emetic strains of B. cereus. Therefore, it is important to use all possible means to guard against it.

How to protect yourself from Bacillus cereus bacteria?

It is important to emphasize that the spores of B.cereus intensify at high temperatures. For this reason, and according to alim'agri, site of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food, it is advisable to cool quickly cooked food, especially when it comes to rice. In addition, it is recommended to wash your fruits and vegetables with water and White vinegar, using a brush to remove all debris from dirt and dust and therefore, all bacteria.

Similarly, precautions should be taken to protect against this bacteria:

- by setting the refrigerator to a temperature below 4 ° C;

- by eating the dishes immediately after their preparation;

- regularly cleaning the refrigerator;

- by cleaning hands and all utensils in contact with raw food.

This article appeared first on HEALTH PLUS MAGAZINE